I suggest you ...

Music reactive lighting

The lights change color and brightness based on the speed and tones of the music heard on the phone's mic. (Also great for mood lighting while watching action tv shows).

1,874 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Dave shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

130 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ambify is the best one I've come across for music fx. Available on desktop as well!

There is an app and it's called Hue Disco. It's very good. And what Andrew says is not entirely true. If you look at that app the lights do work Dailey fast with the beat of the music. The even have a '"snap" mode which will change the light fast.

I think there is an app called LightDJ. I tried it. It was really well done. I paid for the in app purchase to unlock all features. It was a bit expensive than what I would have liked to pay. But at least the app is worth a try. You can change the type of rhythm and the bpm of the lights. There is a light console with the spectrum.

• Andrew M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm afraid I'm going to have to jump in here and say that this is likely an unrealistic request. I do quite a lot of work in the reactive music visualization area. It requires extremely fast changes in color and brightness that the LIFX API doesn't do through their web version, and the local (LAN) API isn't much better. YouTube search: "Arduino / MSGEQ7 / CAT4101 first test" to see what my standards are. I designed the boards that drive that and THAT is proper reactive lighting. I'm refreshing at over 90 frames per second there. If the LIFX could do 10 I'd be SHOCKED.

• TEA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great to include the means to have one or more lights react to the subwoofer or low bass for effect.

Using a mic doesn't really work. An app that works with the music app to change the lights based off the bass notes registered on your devices music player instead of the mic on your device would be so much better.

Nobody else can get this music thing right. From the looks of the other apps for Hue your the only one that seems to "get it!" loving the animated scenes! Loving how all the Hue devs need cash for every little scene, glad this one has decent freebies thrown in

For the love of god get it right too as all the other apps that respond to music are no good ... Would love to see a quality one that uses the mic and responds to tv as well!! I would pay 10 bucks for a good one!!

Feedback and Knowledge Base